Stay Safe

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services programs provide for the safety and protection of vulnerable adults that are, or are suspected to be, victims of abuse, neglect, self-neglect or exploitation by:

  • Receiving reports of abuse, neglect, self-neglect or exploitation;
  • Investigating allegations and conducting an assessment; and
  • Offering referral to and arranging for provision of emergency or supportive services to reduce or eliminate risk of harm.

Abuse means the intentional or negligent infliction of physical pain, injury or mental injury.

Neglect means failure of a caretaker to provide food, clothing, shelter or medical care reasonably necessary to sustain the life and health of a vulnerable adult, or the failure of a vulnerable adult to provide those services for themselves.

Exploitation means an action which may include, but is not limited to, the unjust or improper use of a vulnerable adult’s financial power of attorney, funds, property, or resources by another person for profit or advantage.

Vulnerable Adult is a person 18 years or older who is unable to protect himself from abuse, neglect or exploitation due to physical or mental impairment which affects the person’s judgment or behavior to the extent that he lacks sufficient understanding or capacity to make or communicate or implement decisions regarding his person.


The Ombudsman Program protects the health, safety, welfare, and rights of long-term care residents 60 years or older. The Long-Term Care Ombudsman program serves all LTC facility residents regardless of their age.

The Ombudsman investigates complaints made by or on behalf of residents. Services can include but are not limited to assistance with the following:

Resident care:

  • Rehabilitation or Maintenance of function
  • Restraints

Quality of Life:

  • Activities
  • Dietary issues
  • Environmental issues


  • Policies, Procedures, Attitudes, Resources
  • Staffing

Problems with outside agencies, systems or people:

  • Certification and licensing agency
  • State Medicaid Agency
  • Other systems
  • Complaints other than nursing home or assisted living settings

Generally, people receiving income-based public benefits such as AFDC, SSI and Food Stamps may qualify for legal assistance from Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc.

However, Federal law prevents Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc. from representing anyone in criminal cases, including DUI cases and minor traffic violations.

If Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc. cannot take your case, they may be able to refer you to a private attorney for a free one-half hour consultation and the private attorney may charge you a reduced fee.

If you have any questions about whether or not Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc. can help you with your legal concerns, contact Idaho Legal Aid Services, Inc. at 1-208-345-0106 or visit the website

Online reporting is ONLY available to those who are mandated by state law to report abuse, neglect, self-neglect or exploitation of vulnerable adults per Idaho Code 39-5303 and financial institutions. All other reporters must call the local Area Agency on Aging during normal business hours to make a report.